- Parent Category:
- Written by © P. K. Pandya & Co. 2010 All rights reserved.
Full From of IEC Code is : “Importer Exporter Code ”. To import or export in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number.
Eligibility condition and Legal Provisions are given for IEC Code Number Application in Foreign Trade (Regulation) Rules, 1993 Ministry of Commerce, Notification No. GSR 791 (E), dated 30-12-1993.
IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade , Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies.
IEC No: Exempted Categories
The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer - Exporter Code (IEC) number:
- Importers covered by clause 3 (1) [except sub-clauses (e) and (l)] and exporters covered by clause 3(2) [except sub-clauses (i) and (k)] of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
- Ministries/Departments of the Central or State Government.
- Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000. However, the exemption from obtaining IEC number shall not be applicable for the export of Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipments and Technologies (SCOMET) as listed in Appendix- 3, Schedule 2 of the ITC(HS) except in the case of exports by category(ii) above.
- The following permanent IEC numbers (only some of them are listed) shall be used by the categories of importers/ exporters mentioned against them for import/ export purposes.
|S.No.||Code Number||Categories of Importers / Exporters|
|1||0100000045||Indians returning from / going abroad and claiming benefit under Baggage Rules.|
|2||0100000053||Persons / Institutions / Hospitals importing or exporting goods for personnel use, not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.|
|3||0100000061||Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Nepal|
|4||0100000070||Persons importing / exporting goods from /to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas|
|5||0100000096||Importers importing goods for display or use in fairs / exhibitions or similar
events under provisions of ATA carnet This IEC number can also be used by importers importing for exhibitions/fairs as per Para 2.29 of Handbook of Procedures Vol.1.
|6||0100000126||Individuals / Charitable Institution /Registered NGOs importing goods, which have been exempted from Customs duty under Notification issued by Ministry of Finance for bonafide use by victims affected by natural calamity.|
|7||0100000134||Persons importing / exporting permissible goods as notified from time to time, from / to China through Gunji, Namgaya Shipkila and Nathula ports,
subject to value ceilings of single consignment.
|8||0100000169||Non-commercial imports and exports by entities who have been authorized by Reserve Bank of India.|
Note: Commercial Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) who have obtained PAN will however be required to obtain Importer Exporter Code number. The permanent IEC number as mentioned above, shall be used by non-commercial PSUs.
Guidelines for Application of IEC Code Number:
Directorate General of Foreign Trade(DGFT) issued a Policy Circular No.15 (RE-2006)/2004-2009 Date: 27th July, 2006) for New System for issuance of Importer-Exporter Code Number.
To apply for IEC Code Number, applicant needs the following:
1. PAN Number
2. Current Bank Account
3. Bankers Certificate
4. IEC Code Number Application Fee Rs 250.00 (Expert TIP : Pay via EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer ), and submit IEC Online Application form, If you wish to receive IEC Number instantly)
5. The physical application containing required documents should reach DGFT RLA concerned within 15 days of its online submission.
6. E-mail, though is not mandatory, if it is provided it will facilitate faster communication.
List of Documents required to apply for IEC Code
1. A covering Letter on company's letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number, favouring Joint DGFT.
2. Two copies of the application in the prescribed format ( Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF 2A ) must be submitted to the regional Jt.DGFT Office.
3. Each individual page of the application has to be signed by the applicant. Use rubber stamp for signature in cases other than individual is applicant.
4. In case of applications submitted electronically, Part 1 & Part 4 has to be filled in by all applicants. No hard copies of Part 1 may be submitted. However in cases where applications are submitted otherwise, hard copy of Part 1has to be submitted. Only relevant portions of Part 2 need to be filled in.
5. Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/Demand Draft/EFT details evidencing payment of application fee in terms of Appendix 21B.
6. Certificate from the Banker of the applicant firm in the format given in Appendix 18A.
7. Self certified copy of PAN issuing letter or PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card issued by Income Tax Authority.
8. Two copies of passport size photographs of the applicant duly attested by the Banker of the applicant.
9. Self addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/DD of Rs.100/- for speed post.
10. Self certified copy of the address proof.
Validity of IEC Code No
An IEC number once allotted, shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories as indicated in the IEC. While applying for registration, care shall be taken to include all desirable addresses of branches/divisions/units/factories. Address proof for the same would be required.
Duplicate Copy of IEC Number
Where an IEC Number is lost or misplaced, the issuing authority may consider requests for grant of a duplicate copy of IEC number, if accompanied by an affidavit.
Surrender of IEC Number
If an IEC holder does not wish to operate the allotted IEC number, he may surrender the same by informing the issuing authority. On receipt of such intimation, the issuing authority shall immediately cancel the same and electronically transmit it to DGFT for onward transmission to the Customs and Regional Authorities.